ARCHIVE

 Trending News

Alleged SADC poaching kingpin granted bail

Alleged SADC poaching kingpin granted bail
June 29
13:33 2018

Accused was extradited from Zimbabwe to stand trial after being on the run for five years

TEBOGO MMOLAWA

An alleged Southern African poaching kingpin, 52 year old Dumisani Moyo, has been granted bail by the Francistown Magistrate court.

Moyo is facing a single count of being found in possession of rhinoceros horn. He was arrested at a road block in Francistown. After being granted a P10 000 bail the court then, Moyo sneaked back to Zimbabwe and has been on police wanted list since. Last year in December the police managed to extradite him back to Botswana to stand trial after being on the run for almost five years.

After he was arrested in Zimbabwe, he apparently told the court that he feared the harsh treatment he is likely to receive at the hands of security organs in Botswana who have adopted a hard line stance towards poachers. But the court dismissed his application to block his extradition to Botswana.

When granting Moyo conditional bail last week, Magistrate Lebogang Kebeetsweng said after the accused person was arrested in December last year, the prosecution applied for him to be remanded in custody as he was a flight risk and has been on an arrest warrant for a very long time. “The prosecutor, Mompoloki Mabalane failed to avail the investigating officer before court to give reasons why Moyo could be granted bail. Even up to now there is no record that shows that the investigating officer will be called before court to testify,” Kebeetsweng revealed.

She ordered that Moyo should pay P1,000 and provide two Batswana sureties each paying P500. Moyo was also ordered to surrender his passport to Francistown police and report to the police  once fortnightly. “You are also reminded that you should attend court sessions whenever you are required to do so,” ruled the youthful magistrate. Moyo will be back in court again for mention on July 3.

Meanwhile, Mahalapye police are investigating a case in which a 23 year old step father allegedly murdered his 2 year old step daughter. According to Station Commander, Superintendent Isaac Mamadi, on that fateful day, the suspect was watching soccer at night. After the game ended, Mamadi said the suspect woke the toddler up to allow her to urinate. “Unfortunately, the little girl urinated on the blankets and the step father assaulted her. He allegedly hit the toddler with a wooden spoon on the head which caused serious damage,” Mamadi explained. The police chief noted that the baby was confirmed dead upon arrival at the hospital. The suspect is in police custody waiting to appear before court. Mamadi revealed that prior to the incident, the suspect had a pending case for allegedly assaulting the same baby.

 

 

About Author

STAFF REPORTER

STAFF REPORTER

Related Articles

Categories

VIDEO CHANNEL

FACEBOOK