Bees sting old man to death


A swarm of bees last week Wednesday stung to death an 81-year-old man of Monarch location in Francistown. The bees attacked the pensioner, who was with his companions, at his tuck shop.

Central police station commander, Superintendent Lebalang Maniki confirmed the incident to Global Post in an interview. “The old man was with other people at his tuck shop at Monarch Area 9 location when the incident occurred,” Maniki revealed. According to Maniki, the deceased’s companions managed to flee the scene when the bees went on the rampage but due to old age the old man could not run for his life.

“After receiving the report we went to the scene and found him lying down. He was ferried to Nyangabgwe Referral Hospital where the doctor certified him dead,” Maniki said. He indicated that it is a second incident in which a person was attacked by bees in his jurisdiction. “Last year we recorded another incident in which someone was attacked by bees but fortunately the victim managed to survive the scathing attack,” he said.  The police chief advised members of the public to be extra careful to avoid being attacked by bees.

Meanwhile, still in Francistown the police have appealed to members of the public to assist them with any information that might lead to the arrest of a mother who dumped her three-day-old child near the Nyangabgwe Referral hospital. “The baby girl was found wrapped in a blanket by a passer-by at around 6am while he was going to work,” Maniki said. He said that the passer-by then called the police who took the child to the Nyangabgwe Referral Hospital.

The police have now intensified the search for the infant’s mother. If arrested, the mother is likely to face a single charge of child negligence. Maniki said it is the first case of baby dumping that they have recorded since the beginning of this year. “I would like to advise parents who face the difficulty of raising their children to always seek help from social workers rather than resorting to the cruelty of dumping them on the streets.

In another incident, a horrific accident claimed the life of a 73-year-old man when a Nissan March he was travelling in burnt to ashes along Tonota-Francistown road. According to Kutlwano police station commander, Superintendent Neo Serumola, the driver of the vehicle lost control and the vehicle rolled several times and caught fire. “The other three passengers sustained serious injuries and are still recuperating at Nyangabgwe Referral Hospital,” Serumola confirmed.