Breaking News
  • ZEBRAS AWAITS LESOTHO IN HIGH SPIRITS Pheto Segatlhe-   Botswana national team head coach, Letang ‘Rasta’ Kgegwenyane is optimistic about Saturday’s COSAFA Cup 2021 second clash against Lesotho adding that he and the team are in...
  • MORAKE SETS OFF TO JAPAN               -Urged to bolster relations The Ambassador of Botswana designated to Japan, retired Major General Gotsileone Morake on Tuesday paid a courtesy call to...
  • Botswana Life Launches subsidiary Arm – Seeks to offer our customers holistic financial advisory services – Offering Estate planning services for its clients   Botswana Life Insurance Limited (BLIL) has reported that it continues to...
  • MultiChoice Botswana announces hot new content for the year To an audience of some of Botswana’s media, influencers and well-known celebrities in the entertainment and sporting fraternity, MultiChoice Botswana hosted its Annual Content Showcase jam-packed with exciting content announcements....
  • Charity in times of covid-19: A conversation with the Rotary Club of Gaborone The covid-19 pandemic has since exposed inequalities among societies, and it threatens to exacerbate the gap between the rich and poor. The possibility that covid-19 could push half a billion...

Two charged with murder of hexagenarian

Two charged with murder of hexagenarian
February 12
10:38 2018
  • In another homicidal rage involving a herd boy and power relations, a 67-year old grandmother is raped and strangulated by two young men


Controversial wage deductions may have fuelled the fury of a herd boy who recruited a friend to gang-rape a 67-year old granny before the two young men strangulated the old-age pensioner in Tonota last week.

Sediretse Marape was discovered half-naked by relatives who rushed her to a clinic where she was confirmed dead on arrival last Tuesday.

Medics at the clinic said Marape died of strangulation.

Two young men have already been arraigned before the Francistown Magistrates Court for murder where drama unfolded when Marape declared his ‘accomplice’ innocent’ and asked that he be set free.

In the end, they were both remanded in custody because they were deemed flight risks and for their own safety.

Global Post is reliably informed that the two suspects allegedly raped and murdered Marape after one of them, 26-year old Ramokgosi Ramokgosi, who was employed as a herd boy by the deceased, after what he considered undue  deductions were extracted from his wages.

After Ramokgosi allegedly took a bag from someone on credit, the creditor arranged with his employer to deduct the amount owed from Ramokgosi’s wages, which Marape allegedly did.

According to the macabre chronicle, Ramokgosi took his slashed wages and went on a drinking spree before returning to Marape’s house with 25-year old Thuso Diane where they raped her and proceeded to visit death by strangulation upon her.

Diane works in the famine relief Ipelegeng programme in which irregular because employees take turns.

The two were arrested in a police manhunt after they fled the ghastly scene.

In court last Friday, the investigating Officer Detective Constable Sengwenyana Keleitsi opposed bail for the accused. “Our investigations are still at an initial stage and we are yet to record statements from possible key witnesses,” Keleitsi argued.

He noted that the accused had fled the scene after allegedly perpetrating their ghoulish deed.  Besides, he added, tempers were still high in Tonota.

Keleitsi pressed on: “Ramokgosi is a suspect of rape which occurred between the 10th and the 12th of October 2015 which he allegedly committed at Mabesekwa Village. He disappeared into thin air after being granted bail by the court.”

When he got an opportunity to cross examine the investigating officer, Ramokgosi asked the police to set Diane because he was “innocent”. Keleitsi returned that upon the two being arrested, Ramokgosi had told the police that he had committed the crime with Diane but only changed his statement upon confrontation.

At the end of the mention, Magistrate Amantle Lungisani remanded both accused in custody. “The accused persons are remanded in custody until the 23rd of this month,” the magistrate said.

About Author



Related Articles




View PDF